Thursday 14 June 2007

Ah.. London...

London.. what a great city. I've never been to a city that feels this old.
We did so much in London in the three days we were there. There's no way i can write about everything here. I'm actually in Rome right now, typing away on a computer inside a laundromat. Yesterday the bottle of red wine that was in my backpack mysteriously opened and drenched the bag and some of its contents. The wine was also seeping through the bag onto my shirt, so the back of my yellow shirt looks tie-dye red. Hence the laundromat. Anyway... back to london.

The tower of london was really cool. It's called the tower of london but it's actually a complex of towers and buildings and fortifying walls. We got a tour that gave us a brief glance at the history of the complex, which has its roots in the 13th century. Eventually it became famous for the executions that took place there. High profile criminals, such as Thomas More, would be brought there and tortured. We got to see some of the torture devices and the rooms where the prisoners were kept. It was gruesome. On a more pleasant note, the Tower of London has been the secure holding place for the Royal Jewels of British Monarchy. The jewels are still there, and you can see them when you visit. They are by far the most ornate pieces of jewelry I've ever seen. Of particular brilliance were the royal crowns, which are arrayed in gold and hundreds, if not thousands of precious stones, including diamonds. There was also a large, gilded punch bowl that looked more like a bathtub than a punchbowl. There were also sorts of figures along its sides. It might have been the most decadent party item that I've ever seen.
okay, i was just told that my time has run out... i must go.. but i will return again soon
-Isaac

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, London .. I'll get back there someday. I know I will. I'm so glad you guys enjoyed your time there. I never actually made it to the Tower of London, nor did I get to see the Crown Jewels. It's okay, though .. more of a reason to go back.

I hope you stopped in at some of the pubs and had some pints! If you didn't try it, definitely try Strongbow. Mmm .. delicious!

Also, on your return lay over in London, if you have time, go and hang out around Gloucester Rd. and High Street Ken. (Kensington). Gloucester Rd. is a stop on the Piccadilly Line Tube, and High Street Ken. is on the .. District Line, I think. It's the green one, haha. They're great areas, and right where I stayed while I was studying there. If you do find yourself at High Street Ken., go down Young Street and pop in the Greyhound Pub. It's fantastic and the bartenders there are awesome. I think their Strongbow tap was better than anywhere else!

Have a GREAT time, guys!!